Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11th

It doesn't seem like "September 11th" was really seven years ago. It seems like it was much more recent. I clearly remember the morning when the alarm went off and the people on the radio were talking about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I was very confused and thought I had missed the beginning of a story or a joke. All of the sudden reality hit Chris and he jumped out of bed and turned the TV on and we stared at the TV in shock and horror for a while not really knowing what we were supposed to do. Chris realized he probably needed to get to work and I started getting Kelsie and Trevor ready for school. It was a very eerie feeling taking them to school. I didn't know if there was going to be school or if I should keep them home, but I decided to keep their usual routine for them.

My in-laws were on the way to LAX that morning when they heard the news. They were trying to head back to Washington Dulles (DC) after spending a week visiting us. Of course all the flights were cancelled and stayed cancelled for a few days. There was such a quietness around town for those few days without any flights overhead.

The tragedy really hit me when we visited New York three years ago. We were in NYC for a couple of days and toured around the city and saw all the sights and we decided to go to Ground Zero. There in the middle of all these skyscrapers and hustle and bustle of city life was a gigantic hole in the ground. It was fenced off, and there was still debris that wasn't completely cleared out. But there was a tribute to the people that had died on 9/11. I was most surprised by the size of the hole, by the immensity of the destruction. It was a memory and an emotion that I hope I never forget.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing. That was a very surreal day and one that should never be forgotten. It was a day that changed our lives as we knew it.

Jo said...

Truly a day we'll never forget and yet how soon we have forgotten.

Gayle and Curt Family Blog said...

Thanks for sharing! It has changed many things for all of us. I now have to scan my id to get into the hospital. Sad!

grammie said...

I remember being out in the back yard doing yard work, and for some reason we had the radio on (that was unusual). I rushed into the house to see what they were saying, and was just glued with unbelief to the TV. Didn't get back to the yardwork for many hours if at all. (Sad Jenny's birthday is the same day. A reminder forever)