Thursday, September 11, 2008

Paint

Time to paint Trevor's room. He said he wanted one wall to be blue and the rest to be white. Fine. I don't care. It's paint. I kinda like to paint because it's cheap and it's easy and if you don't like it it's easy to fix. I wanted him to go to the paint store with me to get the little paint swatches to see what shade of blue he actually wanted. He said he didn't want to go with me and for me to get a blue "like this"--as he handed me a blue Blockbuster coupon that was in the car.

I bring home about 20 different shades of blue for him to pick one. We tape them up all over the one wall that he wants painted blue and he stares at the colors for a few days. Each day he takes down a few colors he doesn't like until he's narrowed it down to four. Peek-a-boo-blue, Suddenly Sapphire, Rainbow Bright and Teenie Bikini. No "Blockbuster Blue" at the store.

Who names paint? Teenie Bikini is the darkest blue of them all. It has nothing to do with a teenie bikini. I would at least think teenie bikini would be a tropical beach color, but it's not. And Peek-a-boo blue? What does that mean? Think what a fun job it would be to stare at a color and think of all the names you could call it. I really think that would be fun. But, I also think it would be fun to think of street names for new housing developments. You know, Lori Lane, Kelise Court, etc.

Anyway, he had decided on Peek-a-boo-blue so I went and bought the little half a pint sample that they sell. After looking at it for a day he decided he wanted to go a little darker, so Suddenly Sapphire it is! Now I have to decide between twenty different colors of white for the other walls.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Paint names make no sense. I think that I try and go with a theme. Food names for the kitchen, plant names for most other rooms, random funny names for kid's rooms. I chose Lemon Chiffon for the kitchen in Simi.

Could you imagine applying for the "name that paint" job? What qualification do you think you need?

Jo said...

I know what you mean! The red I used for my wall in the hall & the TV room is called "(something)...storm" I can't remember the first part but can't forget the second part because it doesn't make sense. Anyway, you'ld think anything that has to do with a storm would be like a gray color but it's not. It's red.

Kim said...

I am frequently entertained by color names--not just on paint too. How about cosmetics like nail polish and lipstick? Did you know there is an organization that decides on a color of the year and it's a blue for 2008? Blue Iris I believe it's called. So Trevor is really with the trends :)