Woo-hoo! Branden earned his first two official Boy Scout Merit Badges. We had a stake Merit Badge day, and being the experienced Boy Scout mother that I am, I signed Branden up for two Eagle merit badges. No fun merit badges for him! He was able to complete both Citizenship in the World and Citizenship in the Nation. This brings me to one of my favorite new finds. Translucent thread. Merit badges are a PAIN to sew on. They are so thick that if you sew them by hand you end up with huge indentations on your fingers from pushing the needle so hard (I know that's what thimbles are for, but come on, who has a thimble?) I would rather sew them with my machine, but every merit badge and patch is a different color and I hated having to change my thread and bobbin with each badge--until I found translucent thread. It's clear, so you can use it to sew on everything and it won't stand out. I don't even have to sew neatly because you can't see the stitches. I finally sewed Trevor's 20-something merit badges onto his sash and it only took me about 30 minutes. So to all you readers with scouting boys my helpful hint of the day is translucent thread.
4 months ago




6 comments:
You are the best! If it weren't for you, James would never be on the right track in Scouts...thanks for the heads up on those merit badges....now I just need to sew!
What will they think of next! And why did I not know about translucent thread when Dan and Ty were in Scouts? Dang it!
Way to go Branden! Good tip - we should call this Lori's tip of the day blog! Thanks!
Awesome job Brandon. I like that picture- it makes me smile.(=
Lori, I can be very lazy and I discovered fabric glue with Andrew. It comes in a tube and is even washable. It is made for fabric and is GREAT for gluing merit badges in place. Those badges are thick and hard to sew even with translucent thread.
I'm getting old - I used the glue for Saras girls scout badges - big thick things. I think it would work for merit badges too but I am thinking that the Boy Scouts may have a rule that they have to be sewn on. - - - Another reason to have GIRLS!
Post a Comment